WARNING - Blow Solid Rose Gold Copper Shields Come polished and Coated with Everbrite ProtectaClear to prevent Tarnish build up and surface discolouring. DO NOT WASH WITH DETERGENT OR SCRUB WITH POLISH WHEN CLEANING or you will remove the protective coating. Clean with moist soft nonabrasive cloth to remove dirt and road grime.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Ensure you read all steps before commencing working with EVERBRITE PRODUCTS and prior to starting work with copper. Supplier details can be found at the conclusion of this document.
The HD Gel Copper Cleaner will remove tarnishing from copper, but it will not polish it. If a high sheen is desired, polish your copper with a good copper polisher of your choice after it is cleaned.
REMOVING TARNISH AND REVITALISING COPPER SHINE
If tarnish or discoloring appears remember copper is a natural metal and can be cleaned as you would with all copper products.
PROFESSIONAL CLEAN - EVERBRITE HD GEL COPPER CLEANER
When working with the HD Gel Copper Cleaning, avoid working in direct sunlight if possible. it is recommended that you wash the surface first with regular dishwashing liquid to remove any build-up of dirt or grim.
It is important to ensure that the surface is clean and free from dirt and mold prior to commencing work with HD Gel Copper Cleaner or Everbrite.
- Determine if the copper has Everbrite ProtectaClear remaining on the surface.
- Put a small amount of HD Gel Copper Cleaner on the surface (about the size of a drink coaster)
- Wait 1 hour and wipe of the gel with a damp cloth.
- If the tarnish did not change at all, there is most likely a coating on the surface.
- The previous protectant must be removed and can be done using a sander or with a stripper or solved. (Xylene or Lacquer Thinner)
- Liberally brush the gel onto the copper to about the same thickness you would apply for a coat of paint. You can make a thinner solution by mixing a small amount of water with your HD Gel Copper Cleaner.
- Leave to sit for at least 1 hour. For heavily tarnished copper, you can need to leave it on for 3 - 5 hours or more. It is important that the gel does not dry up, you can mist with water using a spray bottle or you can dip a brush in water and gently agitate. If the gel dries, it will become ineffective.
- About an hour after applying, check a few areas with the scrubber pad to determine if the cleaner has started melting the tarnishing enough for it to be scrubbed off. If the tarnish is hard to remove, you can leave it on for longer. If your copper is brand new, do not scrub the surface as this may scratch it and ensure you simply wipe away with a soft cloth.
- When the tarnish has been loosened, thoroughly scrub the surface using a non-scratch pad in the direction of the copper grain. DO NOT go around in circles as this might creating swirling and / scratch marks. Normally the grain will be vertically aligned but look closely at the surface to determine the direction.
- Remove the gel and any dark residue with a soft cloth or paper towels.
- Mix the EZ-Prep Neutralizer with 4 parts water OR mix 1 cup of baking soda with around 3.5 - 4L of water. Rinse the copper one section at a time using a sponge or cloth.
- After neutralizing, rinse the surface thoroughly with plan water and towel dry.
PROTECTACLEAR – PROTECTIVE COATING
When working with Copper, it is recommended that you clean the surface and give it a good polish before applying Everbrite. This will ensure that you are protecting a clean surface and not locking the tarnishing or fading in.
You can now apply 2 coats of Everbrite Protective Coating to your copper to keep it looking shiny for years to come.
Everbrite Protective Coating range, including the MATTE and SATIN variants, are suitable for use on Copper Surfaces
Everbrite ProtectaClear is a crystal-clear, polymeric resin that provides long term protection to most metallic surfaces.
Specially formulated for use on non-painted metals, it can protect Copper, Brass, Bronze, Stainless Steel, Aluminum and other non-painted / plated metals against corrosion, UV damage, salt water, salt air, acid rain, pollution, mildew, bleach and more.
Everbrite won't chalk, crack, peel or discolor from exposure.
- For tarnished or oxidized metal, clean and polish the surface. Most polishers will have an acid in them, and you must neutralize that prior to applying ProtectaClear.
- You can use EZ-Prep Cleaner & Neutralizer mixed in a 1:8 ratio with water or Baking Soda and water.
- Wipe and polish with xylene or denatured alcohol to remove fingerprints and polish residue.
- For new metal surfaces, wipe down with a solvent prior to applying ProtectaClear.
If working indoors, ensure adequate ventilation and remove all sources of ignition or sparks.
DO NOT apply to hot metal or the surface will not self-level prior to drying.
Rinse and clean the surface prior to applying ProtectaClear and DO NOT allow cleaners to dry on the surface.
- Apply a single coat of Everbrite ProtectaClear as to wet the entire surface.
- Use a paint sprayer with a fine mist, high density foam roller, sponge brush, regular paint brush, applicator pad or a clean, white, lint-free cloth.
- Leave to dry. Normally takes around 5 - 15 minutes to be touch dry, depending on climate and humidity. Some applications, such as steel, may require more than 1 coat. Wait until the previous coat is dry before applying any additional coats.
- If you miss a spot during your application, wait until the first coat has dried and then apply to the missed area.
RE-COATING WITH PROTECTACLEAR
If you have previously applied ProtectaClear, you simply need to clean the surface thoroughly using soapy water and ensure the surface is completely dry.
ProtectaClear is designed to bond to itself, so you can simply apply a new coat on top of the old one using the instructions above.
EVERBRITE PROTECTACLEAR MAINTENANCE
After you have covered your metallic surface with ProtectaClear, DO NOT use cleaners with alcohol or solvents. Simply wash down with soapy water, basic household cleaners or mineral spirits. DO NOT use xylene, denatured alcohol or other solvents as this may cause damage to the ProtectaClear coating.
EVERBRITE PROTECTACLEAR – SUPPLIERS
Products can be purchased from the following distributor or google your territory for supplier.
United Kingdom https://www.everbritecoatingsuk.com/
United States https://www.everbritecoatings.com/